In the digital age, LinkedIn has become the go-to platform for professionals to network, seek job opportunities, and showcase their expertise. The platform that was originally only used by job-seekers and Hiring managers is now being used by entrepreneurs, freelancers, industry expert, solopreneurs, indie hackers, and even artists nowadays.
Having a well-optimized LinkedIn profile can significantly boost your online presence and help you connect with the right people. In this article, we’ll explore the world of LinkedIn SEO and provide you with a comprehensive guide to harness the power of this platform to your advantage.
Understanding SEO on LinkedIn
First thing to understand here is that we are not only talking about enhancing your profile’s visibility in search results on LinkedIn, but also about optimizing it to appear in search engine results such as Google and Bing. If you are not aware of it, LinkedIn profiles as well as posts are indexed on Google very often. They were not ranking very high, maybe 3 years ago, but we have been noticing an increased trend of LinkedIn links appearing on the first page of SERPs and in top 3 in many cases as well.
This is a clear signal to you that if you optimize your LinkedIn profile and posts to please the search engines it can only benefit you in the upcoming future.
By carrying out SEO for your LinkedIn profile and posts, you can achieve increased visibility of more focused audience, which will in effect increase your engagement to impressions ratio.
Now, let’s jump into our step-by-step guide to LinkedIn SEO.
- Identify Relevant Keywords and Phrases: Begin by drawing out a list of keywords related to your industry, skills, and job titles. While creating this list, make two parts in your list, one for broad keywords and another for very niche keywords in your area of expertise. For example, “Facebook ads expert” is a broad keyphrase, “Facebook ads expert for online clothing brands” is a niche keyphrase.
- Leverage LinkedIn search: If you start typing your keywords in the search bar on LinkedIn, you will see many suggestions in the drop-down list. If you copy these suggestions into your list, you will get a better idea of what kind of niche keywords are in trend on the platform. You can then incorporate these new found keywords in your contnt and profile to get impressions on those keywords as well.
- Analyze competitor profiles: Find other people/companies working in the same industry as yours and go through their profiles to see what keywords they are using. Experiment with using some of them in your profile.
LinkedIn Profile Optimization
- Craft a compelling headline: Everywhere your name is displayed to anyone on LinkedIn, the headline is right underneath it!! If it doesn’t grab attention of the people at first glance, your profile will always be overlooked. Study successful people on LinkedIn to learn how they write their headlines.
- Use Job Titles and Descriptions: While adding your current or previous jobs in the experience section, write detailed descriptions for every job and use relevant keywords that you have collected in the previous phase of keyword research.
- Showcase skills & Endorsements: While adding your skills make sure that you arrange them in the order of most to less relevant skill in your arsenal. All skills are automatically top keywords in general so that will help increase the SEO score for your profile page.
- Leverage multimedia content: Images, videos and presentations make for a very good SEO score for any webpage. If there’s any use of any of the multimedia, use it freely.
- Customize your profile URL: LinkedIn lets you customize your profile URL. Take this opportunity to create a clean URL if possible. The shorter the URL is more it will help in the SEO.
Publishing on LinkedIn
- Post often: Make as many posts related to your area of expertize as possible. The volume of your posts make sure that at least some of them are seen by your target user base. Write high-quality, original content that showcases your expertise and uses keywords strategically.
- Use media in your posts: Adding images, videos or slideshows gets more engagement than text-only posts, because multimedia means more time spent by users watching the content, that makes the platform happy, which will make them give more visibility to your content.
- Encourage engagement: Ask questions in your posts, seek opinions from the readers, post polls that will make them interact with your post. Encourage your readers to share your content subtly. All kinds of engagement is a positive signal.
- Long-form Articles: The platform lets you post articles directly on LinkedIn. If you post your articles, instead of sharing link to the article on your website, they will be motivated to show that to the users because they don’t necessarily want people leaving the platform to read your article.
Analysing your results
- Use LinkedIn’s Analytics Tools: Use LinkedIn’s built-in analytics to gain insights into your profile’s performance. Check the numbers weekly and optimize your content and posting pattern based on the data you collect.
- Monitor Profile Views and Connection Requests: The views and connection requests that you get are a great indicator of who gets to see your profile and posts organically. If you are not attracting the people in your industry, you need to rethink the strategy from scratch.
Optimizing your LinkedIn profile for SEO is an ongoing process that can yield significant benefits for your professional life. By understanding the principles of LinkedIn SEO and following these steps, you can enhance your visibility, expand your network, and establish your reputation as a leader in your field.
Obviously, while this strategy will be more useful for businesses and consultants, if you are a professional working for some company, leveraging SEO for your profile can also bring you amazing results for your posts and may also bring growth to your career and you might get connected to people that could help you get to better opportunities.
So, why wait? Start optimizing your LinkedIn profile today and watch your professional opportunities soar. If you need any help, feel free to reach out!!